At reproductive age, women get menstruation, the body detoxification, and rejuvenation process. During this process, body wastage like menstrual blood, vaginal discharges, cervical mucus, and endometrial tissues goes out of the body each month, and a woman’s body gets prepared for pregnancy.
Throughout monthlies, many women suffer from painful premenstrual and menstrual period cramps, abdominal stiffness, excessive uterine bleeding, etc., due to body Doshas (forces or humor of the body). As per Ayurveda (Indian medical system), Vata (air element) is the main Dosha, especially Arpana Vata is responsible for the menstrual flow, urination, ejaculation, etc., situated in the lower abdomen, on the place of Muladhara Chakra or Root Chakra.
Due to the activeness of Arpana Vata during menstruation, it creates mood swings, anger, irritation, frustration, etc. According to Ayurveda, when the Doshas are balanced, and no Ama (toxin) exists in the body, the menstrual cycle will be regular, painless, comfortable without clots or burning sensation, etc. The opposite of these denotes the symptoms of unusual menstruation or menstrual disorder and Dosha.
Meanwhile, in Ayurveda, there is some remarkable prevention mentioned for menstrual complications:
- Eat climate-friendly, simple, effortlessly digestible foods during menstruation.
- Maintain a proper food intake, like, Vata food diet, Pitta food diet, and Kapha food diet for Tridoshas (Vatta, Pitta, Kapha).
- Give hot water vapor in the lower abdomen to reduce pain and take rest properly.
- Ayurveda doesn’t recommend using tampons during periods. Use sanitary napkins instead.
- Practice yoga, meditation, and exercise during the premenstrual period. Avoid during menstruation.
- Refrain from caffeine, tea, raw, junk food, meat-fish-eggs, alcohol, and carbonated drinks.
- Drink hot ginger tea. (avoid if you suffer from heavy flow)
- Don’t skip your meal and shower regularly.
- Personages with irregular and painful periods, ovarian cysts, infertility, vaginal yeast infection, fibroid, etc., should consider a vaginal steam bath.
- Have a calm and restful mind during the period.
Heed into these Ayurvedic remedies and get a healthy, natural menstruation cycle each month.
Feature Image Credit: WeRIndia.